The self-balancing electric scooter, known as a hoverboard, has been one of the most talked-about devices on the market this year. Originally known for being the hottest, hardest-to-get gift for the holidays, the hoverboard is now being recognized as a potentially dangerous machine. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has received “dozens of reports of injuries from hospital ERs” since the holidays and the list of reported injuries continues to grow each week. Orlando Hand Surgery Associates came up with five tips for preventing hoverboard injuries.
We explain the importance of taking precautionary safety measures before hopping on the board. To stay safe, and avoid injuries, follow these simple tips before taking a spin on the high-speed device.
- Make sure to wear protective safety equipment such as a helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads.
- Wear comfortable closed-toe shoes. Flip-flops and high heels can alter your balance.
- Make sure to stand upright, facing forward, while riding the hoverboard.
- Do not text or use a cell phone while riding the hoverboard.
- Only ride the hoverboard on level ground.
While these tips are not guaranteed to eliminate injuries caused by a hoverboard, they will assist in preventing any major injuries from occurring.
Dealing with an upper extremity injury? Orlando Hand Surgery Associates can assist you. Text us at (844) 809-1082. Call us at (407) 841-2100. Or schedule an appointment with one of our doctors online.